Reporter Southern California News Group
July 2014 - present
- Covering crime, courts and breaking news daily for the Long Beach Press-Telegram.
- For more than three years, I covered city government, education, features and general assignment stories in the South Bay for the Daily Breeze, where my beats included the beach cities, the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Hawthorne and SpaceX.
Staff Writer San Pedro Beacon
September 2013 - July 2014
- Wrote stories throughout the week for the San Pedro Beacon, a digital daily news expansion of San Pedro Today magazine.
Staff Writer San Pedro Today
May 2011 - July 2014
- Wrote news, features and profiles for the monthly magazine exploring the port town’s unique culture and history.
Contributing Writer EDGE on the Net
December 2010 - December 2013
- Covered a range of LGBT and HIV stories for the website’s national, California and Los Angeles news channels.
Editor and Writer The Bottom Line
May 2007-June 2009
- Cofounded the alternative campus weekly newspaper, overseeing editorial production and operations as managing editor.
- Worked at all levels of production, including reporting, editing and page design.
Graphic and web designer Eastview Music Studio
June 2005 - April 2014
- Designed and maintained the music teaching studio's original website, including the company logo and brand aesthetic.
- Created visually engaging business cards, letterhead, fliers, postcards and other promotional materials.
- Developed marketing strategies and managed social media presence.
2017 California Newspaper Publishers Association Better Newspapers Contest
For team coverage of the Lunada Bay Boys in weekly and daily divisions:
2nd Place Enterprise Series - Palos Verdes Peninsula News
Honorable Mention, Enterprise Series - Daily Breeze
Honorable Mention, Local Government Coverage - Palos Verdes Peninsula News
Wrote a feature story for the annual queer edition asking members of New York City’s lesbian community how they felt about the pioneering lesbian activist past of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray.
2011 - 2013
Contributed to the national LGBT news website’s annual World AIDS Day series for three years, writing pieces on the state of HIV education in public schools, online dating in the HIV-positive community, and life with HIV in rural America.
March 2013 - September 2013
Cofounded and produced a hyperlocal podcast sharing San Pedro stories, recording and editing audio reports and interviews.
BA in English and Art History, minor in professional writing with a multimedia communication emphasis.
University of California, Santa Barbara 2009
AP Style, copy editing, SEO, social media platforms, audio editing, proficiency in WordPress, HTML, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Microsoft Office.